Arts Education Framework Grants
Through the Arts Education Framework Grant Program, Creative Sonoma makes grant funding available to Sonoma County public school districts, to encourage and support delivery of more arts education by implementing new—or strengthening existing—arts education curriculum and/or through arts integration.
Utilizing the Sonoma County Arts Education Framework, the program prioritizes reaching students who have limited access to arts education and/or live and attend school in geographically or economically underserved areas of the county. Rural districts and those that are located in improvement areas as defined by the 2021 Update to Portrait of Sonoma (measureofamerica.org/sonoma/) are especially encouraged to apply.
Funded by The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation and the California Arts Council, these grants will allow districts to get the help they need to make arts education an essential component of their plans to create a better future for their students.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The 2024 Grant Program has two categories in which public school districts may apply, depending on whether or not the district has an arts education strategic plan.
CATEGORY A (Planning): Districts without a strategic arts plan can apply for support to write a plan with a district leadership team and consultant.
- Support customization of an arts education strategic plan for a district (scroll to the bottom of the page for samples from the schools and districts that were grantees in the first two rounds of this program)
- Identify strengths, challenges, and available resources during the process, including personnel involved or necessary personnel
- Create and define overall goals with a timeline
- Develop action steps for implementation and an assessment plan
- Plan and produce a district or regional in-person Arts Showcase event that demonstrates the culmination of student work through exhibition and performance
- Application Opens: August 14, 2023
- Application Workshop: August 29, 2023 via Zoom at 4:30-5:30pm PT. The recording is available HERE.
- Deadline to Apply: September 25, 2023 11:59pm PT
- Awards Announced: October 2023
- Funding Period: January-June 2024
Applicants may include Sonoma County public school districts that are serviced by SCOE. See the Application Packet (attached under “Application Packet and How to Apply” below) for more information.
The following are NOT eligible to apply:
- Private school districts
- CATEGORY A (Planning): Applicants may request up to $6,000
- CATEGORY B (Showcase): Applicants may request up to $1,500
A peer review panel, drawn from experts outside of Sonoma County, will assess thes applications on the following criteria (see the Guidelines for more information on each of these points):
- District readiness for: Category A – planning for and Implementation of the Framework; or Category B – to implement a district Showcase
- Effective and sustainable impact on district articulated priorities
- Proposed strategies to impact targeted youth populations through arts education
- Capacity to administer and manage the grant activies
- Demonstration of how this award will build future arts education opportunities
- Completeness and clarity of the application
HOW TO APPLY
Read the Application Packet, which includes the guidelines and all of the application questions and instructions. No handwritten or paper-based applications will be accepted. Applicants will need to have – or to create – an account in Submittable, Creative Sonoma’s online application portal.
The online application will appear in the list of open Creative Sonoma opportunities at on August 14, 2023. Click on the black Submittable button to get started.
ARTS PLAN SAMPLES
2020 Arts Education Framework Planning Grants: Completed Strategic Arts Plans
- Bellevue Elementary School
- McNear Elementary School
- Santa Rosa City Schools
- Taylor Mountain Elementary School
- West Side Union Elementary School District
2021 Arts Education Framework Consultancy Awards: Completed Strategic Arts Plans
- Bennett Valley Union School District
- Santa Rosa City Schools
- Sonoma Valley Unified School District