Maya Khosla is the Poet Laureate of Sonoma County for 2018-2019 and is bringing the poets of Sonoma County together to respond to the 2017
Fires in a series of recorded readings, as part of her Local Legacies Project. Her new book, All the Fires of Wind and Light, is forthcoming from Sixteen Rivers Press in 2019.
Maya’s main project is centered on filming and recording the voices of Sonoma poets responding to the 2017 fires. The idea is to create a visual anthology and to share it with KRCB public broadcasting. There are several upcoming events listed below.
1. 3-minute KRCB Interview Announcing Maya Khosla’s Fire Film, to be Aired August 7th:
http://radio.krcb.org/post/ filmmaker-and-poet-brings-art- fires#stream/0
2. September 12th Evening (time TBA): An evening of poetry and film at Rohnert Park Public Library.
3. September 27th, October 18th, November 29th. Tea Time & Discussions at The Sitting Room Community Library (Open to All): Poetry and other writing will be shared in an informal setting. http://www.sittingroom.org/
4. 3:00 – 7:30 pm, October 14th 2018: An afternoon featuring poetry written in response to the Sonoma fires. Bechtel holds a max of 25 spaces, do write back if you would like to read, or attend and listen. Pepperwood Preserve’s Bechtel House, 2130 Pepperwood Preserve Road, off Franz Valley Road. Free and Open to the Public; signup is required. Refreshments will be served.
5. 3:00 – 7:30 pm, January 10th 2019 at Pepperwood Preserve’s Dwight Center, 2130 Pepperwood Preserve Road, off Franz Valley Road. Free and Open to the Public; signup is required. Refreshments will be served. An afternoon featuring poetry written in response to the Sonoma fires. Please bring your poem and encourage others to bring theirs! Dwight holds approximately 50 spaces.