A monthly spotlight on ideas, strategies, and resources to support and advocate for arts education in Sonoma County.
This newsletter includes:
- Sonoma County Resources and News
- General Resources and News
SONOMA COUNTY RESOURCES AND NEWS
Student Arts Spotlight
Student Arts Spotlight shares the good news of the arts making a difference in students’ lives in a monthly feature. Learn about the Student Arts Spotlight and share your students’ accomplishments HERE
Browse the archive of past Spotlights HERE.
Education Leaders from Arts Organizations – Join This Meeting!
Any Education Leader from a Sonoma County Arts Organization is welcome to join this virtual cohort. Discuss relevant topics, learn what strategies others are using, and find out what’s going on in the County. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Advocates! Learn How to Get Involved!
It takes teamwork at all levels to ensure the Prop 28 funds benefit each student. Join Create CA to learn from a panel including a member of a county office of education, a school district VAPA director and a K-6 principal on how we can work together on behalf of our school children. Come prepared with your questions and be ready to take what you’ll learn back to your schools and community. Register HERE.
Professional Learning Opportunities at the Luther Burbank Center for the Arts
Tools for Teachers offers the essential resources you need to provide arts education opportunities that prepare our next generation for success in school, work, and life. Fall Workshops for Teachers include:
- Reaching Students with Autism in Your Classroom through the Arts
- Bringing Books to Life
- Universal Design for Learning
- Dimensions of Diversity
Learn more HERE
Supporting People with Down Syndrome Through the Arts
The Down Syndrome Connection of the Bay Area’s mission is to empower, inspire, and support people with Down syndrome, their families, and the community that serves them, while fostering awareness and acceptance in all areas of life. Now offering local office support in Santa Rosa, as well as our Danville office with programs including Music Therapy and Drama Session. Learn more HERE or call 925-362-8660. The Santa Rosa Office Programs Manager can be reached at x113.
New Resources About Arts Education Funding
New resources that were recently made available for school personnel and the public:
General Resources and News
- Listen to the podcast Sparking Equity about “Why Arts and Music Must Be Restored to School Curriculum.” In this pilot episode, education leader Pedro Noguera, Dean of the USC Rossier School of Education, makes the case for a robust arts and music curriculum. He talks to renowned actor John Lithgow and “Hamilton” star Daveed Diggs about the impact arts education had on them. And he discusses California’s Proposition 28 with former Los Angeles Unified Superintendent Austin Beutner, the driving force behind it.
- Read the EdSource article An Arts-Integrated Approach to Establishing Classroom Expectations about using the arts to create classroom expectations and community norms.
Visit the Creative Sonoma Arts Education page to learn more about arts education projects and opportunities in Sonoma County.