Discovered: Emerging Visual Artists
Creative Sonoma is managing the fourth biannual Discovered: Emerging Artists from Sonoma County program, a juried exhibition for Sonoma County emerging visual artists.
The program recognizes up to six visual artists living and working in Sonoma County. Featured artists receive a $2,000 stipend and exhibit of their work at the Petaluma Arts Center from January 24 – March 19, 2017 (includes a professionally-produced catalog). Funding for this program is provided by the Artist Awards Endowment Fund of the Community Foundation Sonoma County; the Fund was created by more than 50 donors from 2007-2011 with support from the James Irvine Foundation.
Recommendations for the program are accepted from professionals in the art community including museum, gallery, art center staff, visual artists in all media, and individuals involved in buying, selling or exhibiting art. Self-nominations are accepted.
- To recognize artistic excellence
- To foster professionalism and increase exposure for emerging visual artists
- To cultivate public awareness and appreciation of the role of creativity in our community
Artists working in any visual media are eligible, and must:
- Be residents of Sonoma County
- Be at least 21 years old
- Not currently be represented by a gallery (does not include co-op or collective galleries)
- Not a student
- Not had prior museum exhibitions in the past 10 years
Sample Guidelines & Application
Deadlines for the 2016 program have passed. This is a biannual grant. More information will be available in 2018.
Tremaine De Senna
BONUS: In 2016, we asked the awardees of 2006-2014 “Where are you now?” Read their updates in this feature.