Discovered Awards for Emerging Visual and Literary Artists
NEW FOR 2019: Through a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, the 2019 Discovered Awards also include literary artists in addition to visual artists.
DESCRIPTION Five visual artists and five writers will be recognized through a cash award, an exhibition, public readings, and a professionally designed catalogue combining awardees visual and literary work. Award recipients will to be asked to produce and/or present their work leading up to and during the Discovered Exhibition, which takes place in November 2019 – January 2020 at the Museum of Sonoma County in Santa Rosa, CA.
- To recognize excellence in the visual and literary arts
- To foster professionalism and increase exposure for emerging visual artists and writers
- To cultivate public awareness and appreciation of the role of creativity in our community
March 1, 2019 Online application opens 12am
March 25, 2019 Application Workshop 5:30-7pm (Register)*
April 12, 2019 Deadline to apply 11:59pm PT
*To attend the Information Sessions or the Application Workshop via conference call, dial 707.565.8996 (no code necessary)
Mid-June 2019 Visual artists notified of finalist status
Mid-July 2019 Literary artists notified of finalist status
Mid-August 2019 Award winners announced
AWARD AND FUNDING PERIOD:
- $2,500 cash award to support the creation of new work and/or the curation of past work
- Inclusion in the Discovered Awards exhibition and public readings, November–December, 2019 at the Museum of Sonoma County
- Inclusion in the Discovered Awards professionally designed catalogue & anthology
ELIGIBILITY Artists working in any visual media or literary writers are eligible. Applicants may not apply to both categories. See the the Guidelines for extended details on eligibility requirements or exclusions.
Both visual artists and writers must:
- Be residents of Sonoma County
- Be at least 21 years old
- Not be enrolled as a student (undergraduate or graduate level)
- Not have representation through an agent
Visual artists must also:
- Not currently be represented by a gallery (does not include co-op or collective galleries)
- Not had prior museum exhibitions in the past 10 years
Literary artists must also:
- Not have published a book (including eBooks, translations, books in other languages/countries, self-published works, and chapbooks with a print run of more than 300), and who have no book forthcoming before June 30, 2020.
- Artistic excellence (primary objective of this program)
- Ability to meet the participation conditions as described in the Guideline
- Anticipated impact on the applicant’s professional capacity and growth
- Completeness and clarity of application
HOW TO APPLY Read the Guidelines thoroughly, and then utilize the Application Help Tool which contains all of the application questions and instructions. No handwritten or paper-based applications will be accepted. Applicants will need to have or create an account in Submittable, our online application portal. This application closed on April 12, 2019.
2016 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES:
Jenny Harp – mixed media
Dayana Leon – oil/video
Catherine Sieck – paper
Kala Stein – ceramics
Jaynee Watson – mixed media
2014 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
2012 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
2010 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
Tremaine De Senna
2008 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
2006 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
BONUS: In 2016, we asked the awardees of 2006-2014 “Where are you now?” Read their updates in this feature.