Discovered Awards for Emerging Visual and Literary Artists
The 2019 Discovered Exhibition takes place November 19, 2019-February 2, 2020 at the Museum of Sonoma County. Public opening is scheduled for November 22 from 5:00 – 7:00 pm. Admission is free. Visit this page to learn more about the exhibition and multiple related events and workshops!
Five visual artists and five writers will be recognized through a cash award, an exhibition, public readings, and a professionally designed catalogue combining awardees visual and literary work. Award recipients will to be asked to produce and/or present their work leading up to and during the Discovered Exhibition, which takes place at the Museum of Sonoma County in Santa Rosa, CA.
- To recognize excellence in the visual and literary arts
- To foster professionalism and increase exposure for emerging visual artists and writers
- To cultivate public awareness and appreciation of the role of creativity in our community
The 2019 grant cycle has closed. This program is open biennially – watch for more information about the next cycle in late 2020 for 2021.
AWARD AND FUNDING PERIOD:
- $2,500 cash award to support the creation of new work and/or the curation of past work
- Inclusion in the Discovered Awards exhibition and public readings, November 2019 – February 2020, at the Museum of Sonoma County
- Inclusion in the Discovered Awards professionally designed catalogue & anthology
ELIGIBILITY Artists working in any visual media or literary writers are eligible. Applicants may not apply to both categories. See the the Guidelines for extended details on eligibility requirements or exclusions.
Both visual artists and writers must:
- Be residents of Sonoma County
- Be at least 21 years old
- Not be enrolled as a student (undergraduate or graduate level)
- Not have representation through an agent
Visual artists must also:
- Not currently be represented by a gallery (does not include co-op or collective galleries)
- Not had prior museum exhibitions in the past 10 years
Literary artists must also:
- Not have published a book (including eBooks, translations, books in other languages/countries, self-published works, and chapbooks with a print run of more than 300), and who have no book forthcoming before June 30, 2020.
- Artistic excellence (primary objective of this program)
- Ability to meet the participation conditions as described in the Guideline
- Anticipated impact on the applicant’s professional capacity and growth
- Completeness and clarity of application
HOW TO APPLY Read the Guidelines thoroughly, and then utilize the Application Help Tool which contains all of the application questions and instructions. No handwritten or paper-based applications will be accepted. Applicants will need to have or create an account in Submittable, our online application portal. This application closed on April 12, 2019.
2019 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES:
2019 LITERARY ARTIST AWARDEES:
2016 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES:
2014 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
2012 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
2010 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
Tremaine De Senna
2008 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
2006 VISUAL ARTIST AWARDEES
BONUS: In 2016, we asked the awardees of 2006-2014 “Where are you now?” Read their updates in this feature.