CALL FOR QUILTERS: ARTIST & EXHIBITION SJMQT SUBMISSION
The San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles accepts proposals from individual artists working in the fiber arts, independent curators, professionally organized exhibitions, textile collectors and other institutions.
SJMQT currently installs exhibitions of historic, contemporary and art quilts, contemporary fiber art and world textiles from all cultures. For more information about the types of work and exhibitions we have organized in the past, please visit our Press page.
California artists should also consider applying to our FiberSpace program, intended to highlight northern California fiber artists. Please visit our FiberSpace page.
SJMQT programs three galleries with approximately 310 running feet of exhibition space (122’, 105’ and 86’.) Proposals may be for one, two or three of the galleries. In addition, we install smaller exhibits in our hallway with approximately 45’ running feet.
Please read the following submission guidelines carefully. Submissions that do not follow these guidelines will not be reviewed.
Each proposal must include the following:
1. Brief Artist Statement or Exhibition Proposal. Please clearly state why the SJMQT is an appropriate venue for your proposal and who is the intended audience. Not to exceed one page
2. Curriculum Vitae/Resume
3. Digital documentation: CD or DVD with 10-15 digital images at least 300 dpi (JPEGs only) Please clearly label each image with artist last name, title, and date. (example: Smith, title, 2016 or SmithTitle2016.jpg)
4. A list of images with title, date, dimensions, materials, and technique for each work
5. If sending a CD, please also include all requested documents (items 1, 2, and 4 above) on the CD as Word or PDF files.
6. Support materials may include press coverage and materials from previous exhibitions
7. If your proposal is not immediately accepted, we like to keep submissions in our exhibit files for future reference. However, if you prefer to have your materials returned, include a self-addressed envelope with sufficient postage.
PLEASE MAIL YOUR MATERIALS TO:
San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles
520 S. First Street
San Jose CA 95113
Submissions are NOT accepted by email or through the Museum’s Facebook page.
Submissions are accepted on an ongoing basis and reviewed quarterly by the Curator and the Exhibitions Committee. Due to the high volume of proposals received by the Museum, it may take up to six months before your application is reviewed.
Our exhibition schedule is planned at least two years in advance and proposals should be submitted one to two years before the proposed exhibition. However, those with shorter lead times will be considered and in some cases desired.