WORKSHOP: Legal Basics Every Artist & Creative Professional Should Know
This workshop covers the fundamental legal topics artists need to be aware of and seeks to dispel some of the myths about the law in relation to art.
WHEN: Thursday, May 23, 2019, 5:30-7:00pm
WHERE: Creative Sonoma, 141 Stony Circle, Suite 110, Santa Rosa, CA, 95401
FEE: $10 (refundable through Tuesday, May 21, 2019) – Register HERE
This workshop includes an overview of the following concepts:
- What to look for in Contracts (including some negotiating tactics);
- Artists’ Moral Rights (particularly under VARA and CAPA);
- What’s left of the California Resale Royalty Act;
- Basic tax concepts to be aware of;
- The pros and cons of various business formations; and
- The hows and whys of Copyright, Trademark, and Licensing.
PRESENTER: Attorney Jacob Janzen runs Start Art Legal, a law practice devoted to representing Artists and Creative Professionals at the many intersections of the Art and Law worlds. Start Art Legal provides affordable, discounted, and pro-bono legal counsel to Artists and Creative Professionals throughout the state. Among his current clients, Janzen represents and advises Visual Artists, Musicians, Performing Artists, Galleries, Owners of Art related Businesses, and Creative Entrepreneurs in the Bay Area and Los Angeles. Janzen is a licensed CA attorney. He holds an MA in Art Business from the Sotheby’s Institute of Art, Los Angeles, and a JD from DePaul University College of Law in Chicago.