CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: Sonoma County's 12th Poet Laureate
Nominations for Sonoma County Poet Laureate Open February 10, 2022. Two-Year Term Begins July 2022.
Nominations are open for Sonoma County’s 12th Poet Laureate. The Poet Laureate is a Sonoma County resident who has demonstrated a commitment to the literary arts in the County. The Poet Laureate often participates in official ceremonies and readings and receives a $2,000 stipend payable in yearly $1,000 increments.
The Sonoma County Poet Laureate is chosen by a distinguished panel with a profound knowledge of, and an active dedication to, the life of poetry in Sonoma County. Members of the Selection Panel represent the five Sonoma County Supervisory Districts, Sonoma State University, Santa Rosa Junior College, and Sonoma County Library. Each member of this panel has a proven passion for poetry and a history of enriching the life of poetry in our community.
Nominations for Poet Laureate require that the poet be a resident of Sonoma County whose poetry manifests a high degree of excellence and who has produced a critically acclaimed body of work. The nominee must also have demonstrated an active commitment to the literary arts in Sonoma County, must propose and perform a project of their own creation, and must agree to participate in official ceremonies and poetry events.
This year’s panel/committee commits to the following timeline:
- Opening of nominations — February 10, 2022
- Deadline for nominations — April 30, 2022
- Poet’s work samples reviewed and finalists selected — May 15, 2022
- Works of finalists reviewed — June 9, 2022
- Poet Laureate selected — July 1, 2022
- Poet Laureate recommendation made to Board of Supervisors — July 12, 2022
- Press Release to all Media of new Poet Laureate — July 12, 2022
- Poet Laureate Presentation Reception — To Be Determined
The public is invited to nominate qualified poets. Information about requirements and application instructions can be found on the Sebastopol Center for the Arts website at https://www.sebarts.org/literary-arts.
Please direct any questions and completed applications to email@example.com.
Full Guidelines HERE