JOB OPPORTUNITY: Exhibition Preparator
Non-exempt, on-call, part-time
Reports to: Exhibitions & Facilities Manager
About Sonoma Valley Museum of Art
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art (SVMA) is the largest visual arts organization in the San Francisco North Bay region. With a budget of $1.4 million, SVMA has approximately 800 members, a professional staff and a dedicated Board of Directors. On the occasion of the Museum’s 20th anniversary, in 2018, SVMA completed a strategic plan and launched a multi-year fundraising campaign to fund the expansion of 4 key cultural and educational priorities. For more information on Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, please visit svma.org.
Exhibition Preparators work under the supervision of SVMA’s Exhibitions & Facilities Manager on the installation and deinstallation of exhibitions, plus occasional building maintenance projects on an as-needed basis. This position is part of a small, highly skilled team, which is responsible for the safe packing, unpacking, handling, loading/unloading, transport and installation of artwork; construction/preparation of exhibition fixtures; painting and maintenance of gallery walls; audio/video equipment set-up; and other tasks as directed by the exhibition manager. The work schedule ranges from 5 to 15 days per exhibition rotation (approximately 40 to 120 work hours) which typically occurs three times per year, roughly January, May, and September. Occasional and additional work/tasks in between rotations may be required.
SVMA’s next install rotation is August 29 — September 9, 2022 (closed weekends & Labor Day)
● High school diploma
● Valid driver’s license
● On-site work + local Bay Area travel
● Must be able to execute physically demanding tasks, climbing ladders, and safely lifting and carrying heavy objects
● Must have practical experience in painting, basic carpentry, woodworking skills, and/or experience using hand tools and wood shop equipment
● Must have 2 years experience handling, installing, packing artwork as a preparator or in a similar position in a museum, gallery, or arts organization
● Maintains careful attention to detail and utilizes critical thinking to achieve exacting results and effectively manage multiple tasks and deadlines
● Must be available to work during exhibition rotation time slots as noted above COMPENSATION/BENEFITS:
● $35/hr; complimentary SVMA membership
TO APPLY PLEASE PROVIDE:
1. Resume with education and employment history
2. Three employment references with email and phone contact information
3. Brief cover letter addressing your interest in the position
● Materials should be emailed in PDF format with “Exhibition Preparator Application” in subject line to: email@example.com
● No phone calls please. To learn more about SVMA, visit www.svma.org
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art (SVMA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes.