JOB OPPORTUNITY: Museum Store & Visitor Services Manager
Museum Store and Visitor Services Manager
Reports to Executive Director
Hourly, 32 hours per week, Non-exempt
About Sonoma Valley Museum of Art:
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art (SVMA) is the largest visual arts organization in the San Francisco North Bay region. With a budget of $1.4 million, SVMA has approximately 800 members, a core staff of 10, Visitor Services staff of 4, and 12 seasonal part-time staff, and a dedicated Board of Directors. On the occasion of the Museum’s 20th anniversary, SVMA completed a new strategic plan to launch a multi-year fundraising campaign to fund the expansion of 4 key cultural and educational priorities. For more information on Sonoma Valley Museum of Art, please visit www.svma.org.
The primary objective of the Museum Store and Visitor Services Manager is to manage the daily planning and operations of SVMA’s Museum Store and Visitor Services team at the admissions desk in an efficient and effective manner while maximizing the quality of the visitor experience. The manager is a member of the Museum’s senior staff who furthers the Museum’s community-focused mission by supervising a staff of 3-4 part-time visitor services associates (VSAs), delivering exceptional customer and visitor service, overseeing retail operations budget and efficacy, and upholding the integrity of the Museum in all interactions.
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Oversee all aspects of the Museum Store’s buying, inventory, and Square POS system and maintain accurate records. Conduct annual inventory at the end of the calendar year.
● Create an annual plan and budget that includes staffing the admissions desk and Museum Store, training, customer service standards, buying, merchandising, inventory control and budget.
● Work collaboratively with SVMA leadership to develop and purchase products that reflect the Mission of the Museum, exhibitions and community.
● Update, train, and oversee POS Square System for the Admissions Desk and Museum Store.
● Create, manage and update Square Online Museum Store as needed.
● Oversight of budget throughout the year to track income and expenses.
● Recruit, hire, train, manage, supervise, and schedule VSA staff and leads as needed.
● Contribute to creating a positive and welcoming work environment within the Museum and set an outstanding example for staff.
● Update and oversee the onboarding process and procedural manual for VSAs.
● Ensure a quality, safe and secure experience for all visitors, maintaining light gallery maintenance, function and appearance; monitoring surveillance system.
● Oversee cash handling and drawer balancing for the admissions desk and Museum Store.
● Work with VSA staff on setting goals and objectives and give annual performance reviews.
● Track weekly visitor attendance and produce reports as requested.
● Participate in programming and exhibition meetings regularly.
● Work with the Development team to train VSAs on the selling of memberships, ensure proper training on Charity Proud database system to ensure accurate processing of tickets and collection of data.
● Collaborate with the Engagement, Exhibitions and Facilities teams to train VSA staff on
exhibition knowledge and best practices for safety of staff, visitors, and art.
● Work with the Marketing and Development team to capitalize on opportunities within and outside the museum to further support the Museum’s brand identity and elevate the SVMA experience.
● Work with the volunteer coordinator, as needed.
● Assist with special events throughout the year that supports the museum and increases earned revenue.
● Attends other duties, opportunities as needed and arise.
Qualifications and Skills:
● Bachelor’s degree.
● Minimum of 3 years managing visitor services and museum store operations or a comparable non-profit retail outlet. Experience managing all aspects of a museum store, including buying, budget planning, merchandising, personnel management, staff scheduling and training, and customer service.
● Demonstrated excellent interpersonal-communication and customer-service skills.
● Interest in or knowledge of contemporary and modern art is highly desirable.
● Excellent writing, analytical, and verbal skills.
● Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and/or difficult interactions with customers and train staff to successfully handle a variety of customer interactions.
● Ability to effectively multitask, prioritize, and manage both short and long-term goals.
● Extensive knowledge of best visitor services and retail practices, operations, and procedures.
● Knowledge of Mac OS, Square Retail for Inventory, Square POS software, and G-Suite. Knowledge of Charityproud database system a plus.
● Must be able to work onsite and remotely on evenings, weekends, special events and holidays as needed.
● Other duties as assigned by the executive director.
While performing the requirements of the job, the employee is occasionally required to stand and walk for long periods of time. Reach and must occasionally lift and or move up to 35lbs. Personal workstation is located in the Museum Store.
$33.00/hr. 32 hr/week, Health, vacation and holiday benefits
Please submit a full-page cover letter and detailed resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Sonoma Valley Museum of Art (SVMA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes.