Page and Graphic Designer
The Press Democrat is looking for a strong page and graphic designer who can make our journalism sing in print and online.
The candidate must be an expert designing pages and graphics and presenting our articles, photos and videos across print, desktop and mobile platforms.
This position will collaborate with reporters, editors and our presentation desk to produce eye-catching layouts and graphics. Copy editing skills and knowledge of Associated Press style are desired, but we are willing to consider a strong designer with print and online experience.
This is not a print-only position, as we’re in the process of better integrating our copy desk and online producers into one work group that optimizes our award-winning journalism for multiple platforms.
The ideal candidate will be expected to:
• Design pages using an Adobe InDesign-based content management system.
• Edit articles for content, clarity, grammar and length on deadline.
• Write headlines and photo captions.
• Optimize content for display online, using a content management system that is integrated with the software used to produce the next day’s newspaper.
• Manage social media accounts, creating lively, engaging posts that catch readers’ attention.
Job requirements include:
• Proficiency with Adobe InDesign and InCopy; functional knowledge of Adobe PhotoShop and Illustrator, as well as experience using a variety of social media platforms.
• Strong news judgment in selecting articles that appeal to print and online audiences.
Data analysis, multimedia skills and the ability to speak Spanish are pluses.
To be considered, please submit a cover letter, resume and up to six samples of your best design work to email@example.com and put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line.
The Press Democrat is an Equal Opportunity Employer