Exhibitions and Facilities Coordinator
Exhibitions and Facilities Coordinator
Reports to: Associate Director/History Curator
Available: August 2018
Status: Full-Time; Exempt; Some weekends and evenings required
The Museums of Sonoma County seeks a full-time Exhibitions and Facilities Coordinator to support its exhibition program and ensure its facilities are well-maintained. MSC full-time employees receive benefits (medical, dental, vacation, and paid time-off).
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists curators with all aspects of exhibition planning and preparation.
• Communicates with artists and exhibition lenders as directed.
• Assists with production of exhibition catalogs and exhibition-related web/print content.
• Assists Registrar with condition reports and loan requests.
• Supervises the Curatorial/Facilities Intern.
• Coordinates exhibition shipping, including the unpacking/packing of objects.
• Constructs and prepares pedestals, wall panels, props, backgrounds, and special lighting effects for exhibits.
• Prepares and cares for gallery spaces including painting, wall maintenance and lighting.
• Prepares, hangs, and installs objects for exhibit.
• Prepares and mounts labels, photographs, and other material.
• Supervises and directs installation/deinstallation volunteers, ensuring safe practices.
• Reclaims materials from the installation for future use.
• Orders exhibition supplies and equipment as needed.
• Ensures workshop is organized.
• Serves as backup for Visitor Services as needed.
• Assists with receptions and events.
• Oversees the Museum’s multiple facilities including the Art Museum, History Museum, Sculpture Garden and rental house to ensure facilities are maintained, clean and secure.
• Monitors and ensures proper maintenance of mechanical equipment.
• Performs minor repairs; seeks assistance from the City of Santa Rosa or professional contractor, when necessary.
• Coordinates with landscapers to ensure grounds are maintained.
• B.A. Museum Studies, Curatorial Studies, Studio/Visual Arts, or relevant field required.
• Two years of experience in a professional office environment required.
• Two years of experience in a museum, gallery, private collection or cultural organization preferred.
• High degree of integrity, drive, professional office and organizational skills.
• Skilled in art handling and crating, carpentry and fabrication, and/or exhibit preparation.
• Ability to communicate well – both oral and written is required. Selected candidates may be asked to submit a writing sample.
• Must multi-task, be flexible, personable, responsible, organized and accurate with details, as well as a team player that is respectful of others.
• Must be proactive, work under deadlines and implement projects in a timely manner.
• Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Outlook fluency required.
• Knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Sketchup preferred.
• Must have valid CA Driver’s License.
Typical physical demands
Sitting at desk for prolonged periods of time, walking, standing, climbing stairs, hearing (telephone, at meetings, etc.), lifting/carrying (up to 50 pounds), climbing up and down ladders, lifting and retrieving materials and objects, and reaching both above and below shoulder height. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Computer, telephone, copier, fax machine, calculator, digital camera, mobile devices, tools (including some power tools), and other electronic office equipment. Occasional use of personal vehicle.
The Museums of Sonoma County celebrate and interpret the region’s rich history, art, and culture by exhibiting and collecting relevant objects and artworks, by serving as a vital community gathering place, and by inspiring visitors with dynamic experiences that engage, educate, and enlighten.
The Museums of Sonoma County is an equal opportunity employer.