Arts Education Alliance
The Sonoma County Arts Education Alliance (AEA) is a coalition working to improve the lives of Sonoma County students through equitable access to high quality arts education.
- Members include representatives from arts organizations, certificated arts teachers, teaching artists, schools and districts, parents, businesses and nonprofits, and other interested Sonoma County residents.
- Members participate in various ways and capacities, which are described below under AEA Committees and Working Groups.
- Sign up for the mailing list to receive important and timely updates about local arts education, advocacy, and opportunities to participate!
Meetups and Cohorts are being planned for 2022! Stay tuned!
Explore these arts education events and professional development opportunities produced and/or presented by AEA members.
iAspire is now offering a Professional Learning Network to support teachers in utilizing arts integration in the classroom. Learn more HERE.
Arts education and arts integration workshops and trainings are offered regularly throughout the year for classroom teachers and teaching artists. Learn more and register HERE.
AEA COMMITTEES AND WORKING GROUPS
Click on any of the following groups and initiatives to learn more about what they do and who is doing it!
The AEA Steering Committee oversees the broad agenda and actions of the coalition. It sets priorities, evaluates opportunities and needs, and develops plans to achieve the objectives.
- A list of current steering committee team members is HERE.
This group of arts education advocates (artists, arts orgs, parents, teachers, business and community members) organize community resources and initiate messaging to build public will for arts education. The Advocacy Team offers presentations for parent and community groups, as well as consultations with schools and school districts.
- The current focus of this group is to connect with parents to share the importance of the arts in children’s lives.
- A list of current advocacy team members is HERE.
Education leaders meet monthly to develop and organize curriculum, lessons, and strategies in arts integration, social emotional learning, and distance learning.
- This group is planning quarterly Administrators’ Meetups for School Year 2021-22 for school district administration teams.
- A list of group members is HERE.
Through this working group, several cohorts of leaders in local arts education have been created: school and district administrative teams, education leaders from arts organizations, and a cohort of community advocates that completed an AEA mini-course in arts education support.
The AEA provides consultation and offers presentations to school, district, parent, and community groups about options to financially support and sustain arts programming in the schools.
SONOMA COUNTY ARTS EDUCATION FRAMEWORK
After two years of research and collaboration across our county, the AEA released its Sonoma County Arts Education Framework in December 2019. The Framework is a tool for schools to increase equitable access to arts education throughout our county.
- The Framework is a FREE resource and includes a customizable Framework template.
- Click HERE to learn more and to download your copy of the Framework.
Implementing the Framework
The AEA, in partnership with Creative Sonoma and the Sonoma County Office of Education, has been able to offer grant funding and consultation for local schools and districts to implement the Framework. Click on either of the titles below to learn about those programs.
Guerneville and Horicon School Districts were selected to receive this award, funded by the California County Superintendent Educational Services. The districts are tailoring strategic plans utilizing the arts to address district priorities utilizing the arts. Learn more about the award HERE.