Arts Education Alliance
The Sonoma County Arts Education Alliance (AEA) is a coalition of individuals and organizations working to improve the lives of Sonoma County students through equitable access to high quality arts education, thereby cultivating creativity for the entire community. AEA members include representatives from arts organizations, teaching artists, schools and districts, parents, businesses and nonprofits, and other interested Sonoma County residents.
AEA Members participate in various ways and in different capacities. With your free membership, you’ll receive AEA updates about arts education and advocacy work going on in Sonoma County!
Become a member of the AEA today! Together, we are better!
Click on the button to sign up for a free membership.
On this page:
- To review past presentations from AEA Administrator Meetups, please visit our YouTube Channel.
- Applications are now available for a 2nd round of Arts Education Framework Consultancy Awards. Sonoma County public school districts serving elementary students are welcome to apply for consultation services in developing a strategic plan utilizing the Arts Education Framework. Priority consideration will be given to rural districts.
The goal of the AEA is to develop and support arts education in four areas:
The AEA supports several cohorts: school and district administrative teams, arts education organization leaders, and a 202 Leadership Develop cohort. The school district cohorts meet bi-monthly and arts organizations meet monthly for resources, information, and networking.
From August-December 2020, a cohort of community arts members developed knowledge in critical areas of arts education advocacy, as well as increased their local network of support and resources. Projects and goals were developed by individuals of the Cohort that will be implemented January-June 2021. A list of the 2020-2021 Cohort can be found HERE.
ADVOCACY & COMMUNICATION
This group of arts education advocates (artists, arts orgs, parents, teachers, business and community members) are organizing community resources and messaging to build public will for arts education. The Advocacy Team offers presentations for parent and community groups, as well as consultations with schools and school districts.
A list of current advocacy team members is HERE.
TEACHING & LEARNING WORKING GROUP
Education Leaders including 2020 Arts Education Framework Planning Grantees organized to share understanding and develop lessons using arts integration and develop professional development to support social emotional learning through the arts, as well as address distance learning.
A list of participants found HERE.
FUNDING AND SUSTAINABILITY
The AEA provides consultation and offers presentations to school, district, parent, and community groups about options to support and sustain arts programming in the schools. Learn about creating sustainable funding for arts in the schools through the Local Control Funding Formula and Title Funding.
An example of this work can be found in this AEA June 2020 Webinar found HERE. For general information on local funding and other resources, explore more HERE.
The AEA provides professional development and to create opportunities for to learn about comprehensive, rigorous, and culturally representative arts education. The AEA supports learning and growing together through a variety of activities.
- Professional development opportunities are available through the Luther Burbank Center for the Arts. Learn more about their offerings HERE.
- iAspire Summit, held during the summer, provides Sonoma County teachers with deep knowledge of arts integration and provides a work with arts integrated curriculum with mentor teachers, arts integration experts, and teaching artists. Read more about iAspire 2020 HERE. A 2021 iAspire Summit is in its planning stages. Contact email@example.com at Big Idea Consulting for more information.
- Creative Sonoma maintains a listing of Recommended Professional Development opportunities HERE, and notices about additional professional development can also be found in the Creative Sonoma Opportunities listings HERE
Research and Tools
SONOMA COUNTY ARTS EDUCATION FRAMEWORK
Based on assessments of the state of arts education in Sonoma County schools, the Arts Education Alliance created the Sonoma County Arts Education Framework, released in December 2019.
The Framework is the result of research, analysis, discussion, and collaboration and is intended to help provide increased access to, and equity in, arts education. It is a free resource, and available to schools to utilize and customize through a Framework template.
Click HERE to learn more and to download your copy of the Framework.
- Application for 2021 Arts Education Framework Planning Consultation Grants are available in April 2021. Rural school districts in Sonoma County will receive priority in consideration. Grants provide consultation services to create a customized strategic arts plan.
As part of the January 2021 regional meeting of the California County Superintendents Educational Service Association (CCSESA) Arts Initiative, the Director of the California Music Educators Association presented its work in collaboration with the California Department of Public Health on guidance for outdoor singing and band practice. It included a study and analysis of aerosol flow for all instruments, singing and reading.
Additional CSSESA resources included: