JOB OPPORTUNITY: On-call Preparator for di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art
di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art
POSITION TITLE: On-call Preparator
REPORTS TO: Curator
CLASSIFICATION: Contract; part-time
DURATION: on going
Summary: di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art seeks a qualified on-call Preparator to assist in the preparation and installation of exhibitions and assist with collections projects as directed.
• Under the direction of the Lead Preparator, assist in the execution of di Rosa’s exhibitions and collection rotations.
• Ensure the safe handling and installation of works of art for temporary exhibition in a timely fashion.
• Should be knowledgeable in all safe art handling practices: installation, wrapping, and packing.
• Assist in the preparation of galleries for installation including wall painting, wall preparation, construction, framing, drywall installation and general light carpentry.
• Assist in working directly with artists to realize commissioned or newly-fabricated artworks.
• Work closely with the Lead Preparator, Curator and Collections Manager/Registrar to receive and return artwork and establish protocols for best art handling practices.
• Assist in the construction of crating, pedestals, cases, and other exhibition furniture.
• Under the direction of the Lead Preparator provide timely and accurate installation, and deploy a variety of techniques to execute exhibition design, object placement, and furniture design.
• Bachelor’s degree in Visual Arts, Studio Arts, Design or similar field of study or commensurate work experience.
• At least 3-5 years’ experience as preparator or in a similar position in a museum, gallery or arts organization.
• Demonstrated knowledge of museum installation techniques.
• Experience with art handling, storage, packing, crating and installation.
• Thorough knowledge of construction techniques, materials and tools.
• Ability to climb ladders and scaffolding, to lift up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to read building plans, specifications and diagrams.
• Ability to perform a variety of building trades-skilled tasks.
• Skill in the use and care of hand and power tools.
• Excellent communication skills with ability to identify problems and resolve them quickly so that installations can function smoothly.
• Ability to work effectively in partnership with people of diverse cultural backgrounds; ability to lead a team and foster collaboration with all members of di Rosa’s staff.
Working Conditions: Applicants must be comfortable with and enjoy nature, including native
waterfowl and domestic peacocks that roam freely on the grounds. Must possess a car and valid
driver’s license and be willing to work occasional nights and weekends.
General Time Commitment: This position is on-call, as needed.
Physical Demands: This position will include a large amount of moving between buildings and on
event sites. It requires an ability to stand, walk, move and remain active consistently and for lengthy
periods. Ability to lift 50 pounds. Ability to perform routine bending, stooping, twisting, and reaching.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee
to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
To apply, please provide the following:
● Resume with education, employment history
● Contact information for 3 references
● Brief cover letter addressing your interest in the position
Application materials should be emailed in PDF format with “On-call Preparator” in subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please.
Please note: di Rosa is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender or gender
identity, national origin, disability, age, citizenship status, marital status, Vietnam era or special
disabled veteran’s status, sexual orientation or other basis protected by law. di Rosa makes
reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees with disabilities as defined by
and in compliance with California law.
About di Rosa: di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art is a catalyst for transformative experiences
with contemporary art of Northern California. The nonprofit art center presents dynamic exhibitions
and educational programs for all ages and houses the foremost collection of contemporary Bay Area
art in the world. A wide range of styles, media, and subject matter provide an overview of the
creative energy and freedom to experiment that characterize this region of California. di Rosa
features three galleries, a sculpture park, a 35-acre lake, and a wildlife preserve, all located on 217
scenic acres in Napa Valley’s famed Carneros region. For more information, visit dirosaart.org.