Public Art Opportunity Sonoma Clean Power -Request for Qualifications
CALL FOR ARTISTS
SONOMA CLEAN POWER –REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS for Public Art on Private Development
APPLICATION DEADLINE: May 29, 2019
Applications must be received by Sonoma Clean Power Authority (SCPA) no later than 5:00pm on the due date- May 29, 2019.
Submit completed application materials via Website https://sonomacleanpower.org/request-for-qualifications
This commission is open to practicing, professional artists residing in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties. Artists working in a variety of 3D installation and permanent media are encouraged to apply.
DESCRIPTION OF PROJECT OPPORTUNITY: Sonoma Clean Power Building at 431 E Street Santa Rosa California
SCP is seeking an artist to design and implement a permanent public art project on the grounds of their yet to be renovated new headquarters. This public art opportunity contributes to the City of Santa Rosa’s Public Art in Private Development requirement for this renovation project to take place early 2020. We are seeking one artist or a team of artists to create a dynamic installation that reflects the vision and spirit of Sonoma Clean Power, a public agency focused on clean energy and greenhouse gas reduction.
The art should integrate with the building and landscape elements. Those with functional components will also be considered.
SONOMA CLEAN POWER: As the local public electricity provider, we source clean energy from renewable resources – geothermal, water, wind, solar, and biomass- and deliver our power to residents and businesses throughout Sonoma and Mendocino counties. We deliver services that enhance quality of life through competitive pricing, improved air quality, and energy efficiency. By changing the way residents source energy, we’re able to deliver customer programs that make a difference in everyone’s life.
The maximum project budget is $99,000 and should be inclusive of all artist fees, and all expenses related to design development, including engineering, fabrication, travel, transportation and installation of the artwork, insurance, and all other project related expenses. Finalists invited to submit specific proposals will receive an honorarium of $500 for their efforts and materials for the presentation of proposed project to the Selection Committee.
COMPETITION PROCESS/ TIMELINE (Please be prepared to participate on these dates)
May 29 – Deadline to submit qualifications
June 4 – Finalists are notified and invited to the project orientation
June 7 – Project Orientation for finalists- to view possible site locations, and discuss the spirit of the project with SCPA
July 10 – Finalists will individually give their Proposal Presentations to the Selection Committee
July 12- Selection Committee submits Art/ Artist recommendation to SCPA
July 15 – Finalists will be notified of acceptance status
December 2019 – October 2020 – Building Construction and Art Installation
SELECTION COMMITTEE – is comprised of Sonoma Clean Power Authority representatives, the Art Consultant and other Public Art professionals.
This commission is open to practicing, professional artists residing in the San Francisco Bay area. Artists working in a variety of 3D installation and permanent media are encouraged to apply.
- Artistic excellence and originality as evidenced by representations of past work in photos provided.
- Appropriateness of the artist’s medium and style as related to project goals.
- Experience with projects of similar scope and scale, or comparable professional
experience to handle the requirements of creating public art.
- Availability to participate in the design, approval and implementation of the project, and
complete installation by the deadline
FOR THE SELECTED ARTIST- THE SCOPE OF WORK
The scope of work for this project will include the following:
- Finalizing proposal concepts to accurately convey the work’s artistic intent, design,
placement, colors, materials, fabrication processes, costs and production time. Artists will be expected to provide scaled renderings, models and other visual material to adequately illustrate how the artwork will appear when installed at the site.
- Meeting with the Selection Committee and/or SCPA staff as needed to provide updates on the status of the project.
- Complying with terms, conditions and insurance requirements as required by Artist Service Agreement.
- Preparing or subcontracting for engineering documents and specifications for the
artwork (if required).
- Fabricating the artwork and submitting it for review at production milestones.
- Installing and documenting the artwork at the site
Please submit the following materials. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted. All application materials will be submitted digitally to: https://sonomacleanpower.org/request-for-qualifications You will need to set up a profile with EntryThingy, a call for art management website. Give yourself plenty of time to do this.
- Artist statement(s): one page maximum- stating artistic vision and interest in this project.
- Resume(s): two pages maximum Please include two Professional References associated with your public art commissions. Include: Name, Title, Email, Telephone, Agency, City, State, Total Value of Commission,Year Completed
- Ten digital photos of previous artwork. Please select photos of artwork that
demonstrates your qualifications for this project. Artists applying as a team may submit ten photos for each team member. Please do not submit prints or other reproductions of your work. Digital photos should be at least 150 dpi at 5” on the longest side.
For more information please contact Art Consultant, Vicky Kumpfer at 707.477.0567 or firstname.lastname@example.org.