Next Level Grants for Musicians
Next Level is designed to celebrate the musical talent and exploration occurring across the County and to provide advice and expertise to help local musicians move their careers forward. The grant program, funded by the National Endowment for the Arts this year, recognizes five Sonoma County-based musicians or bands. Grantees will receive a $2,500 grant in support of their proposed project, along with up to 10 hours of one-on-one consulting time with professional experts in areas that align with the applicant’s grant activity request.
- To recognize artistic excellence
- To build the capacity of Sonoma County musicians who have demonstrated readiness to take their career to a new level
- To cultivate public awareness and appreciation of the role of creativity in our community
February 11, 2019 Online application opens 12am
March 13, 2019 Application Workshop: 5:30-7pm (Register)*
March 29, 2019 APPLICATION DEADLINE 11:59pm PT
*To attend the Information Sessions or the Application Workshop via conference call, dial 707.565.8996 (no code necessary)
$2,500, plus up to 10 hours of professional consulting
Applicants must have a demonstrated track record in music as evidenced in the application materials, and must:
- Be residents of Sonoma County (if Applicant is a band, 51% of the band–including the band leader–must be Sonoma County residents)
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be able to complete the funded project within the established funding period (July-December 2019)
Read the extended eligibility and application requirements in the Guidelines (available below, under “How to Apply”), as well as check the list for those not eligible to apply to this program.
- Artistic excellence
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and implement the project
- Anticipated impact of proposed project on the applicant’s professional growth
- Demonstrated commitment of applicant to advancing their career
- Completeness and clarity of application
HOW TO APPLY
Read the Guidelines thoroughly, and then utilize the Application Help Tool which contains all of the application questions and instructions. No handwritten or paper-based applications will be accepted. You will need to have or create an account in Submittable, our online application portal. The Next Level Grant for Musicians online application will appear in the list of open Creative Sonoma grants at 12:00am on February 11, 2019. Click on the black Submittable button to get started.
Oddjob Ensemble: Record a full-length album and support a 6-week national tour.
Alan Hall: Expand career as composer via better published materials to promote compositions.
DyaTribal Band: Support an album release through mastering, album art, and CD printing.
Marshall House Project: Record their first professional full-length album.
Manzanita Falls: Purchase a tour van and support recording sessions.
Black Sheep Brass Band: Upgrade low-budget EP of original songs to album with professional producer.
Bootleg Honey: New press kit, update website and new professionally recorded material to reflect new band lineup.
The Easy Leaves: Assistance with marketing at Americana Music Association’s Annual Conference in Nashville, TN.
Ismay: Short documentary film, to coincide with songwriting project.
Shaun Hunter Wagner: Replenish back catalog of Goth Horse releases, update marketing presence, and release new albums.