Next Level Grants for Musicians
NOTE: This program took place during 2016-2019, but is no longer active.
Next Level is designed to celebrate the musical talent and exploration occurring across the County and to provide advice and expertise to help local musicians move their careers forward. The grant program, funded by the National Endowment for the Arts in 2019, recognizes five Sonoma County-based musicians or bands. Grantees will receive a $2,500 grant in support of their proposed project, along with up to 10 hours of one-on-one consulting time with professional experts in areas that align with the applicant’s grant activity request.
- To recognize artistic excellence
- To build the capacity of Sonoma County musicians who have demonstrated readiness to take their career to a new level
- To cultivate public awareness and appreciation of the role of creativity in our community
Due to the COVID-19 crisis, this grant program has been paused until further notice.
$2,500, plus up to 10 hours of professional consulting
Applicants must have a demonstrated track record in music as evidenced in the application materials, and must:
- Be residents of Sonoma County (if Applicant is a band, 51% of the band–including the band leader–must be Sonoma County residents)
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be able to complete the funded project within the established funding period (July-December 2019)
Read the extended eligibility and application requirements in the Guidelines (available below, under “How to Apply”), as well as check the list for those not eligible to apply to this program.
- Artistic excellence
- Demonstrated capacity to manage and implement the project
- Anticipated impact of proposed project on the applicant’s professional growth
- Demonstrated commitment of applicant to advancing their career
- Completeness and clarity of application
HOW TO APPLY
Read the Guidelines thoroughly, and then utilize the Application Help Tool which contains all of the application questions and instructions. No handwritten or paper-based applications will be accepted. You will need to have or create an account in Submittable, our online application portal.
2019 Next Level Grant for Musicians GUIDELINES and HELP TOOL
Carlos Henrique Pereira: Produce an album of original compositions.
Kayatta: Complete a studio album, 3 singles, visual productions and shows outside Sonoma County.
Lenkadu: Acquire a Booking Agent and Manager.
PRXZM: Promote and fund “High Desert” summer tour and EP release.
Trebuchet: Fund the vinyl pressing of forthcoming full-length album.
Oddjob Ensemble: Record a full-length album and support a 6-week national tour.
Alan Hall: Expand career as composer via better published materials to promote compositions.
DyaTribal Band: Support an album release through mastering, album art, and CD printing.
Marshall House Project: Record their first professional full-length album.
Manzanita Falls: Purchase a tour van and support recording sessions.
Black Sheep Brass Band: Upgrade low-budget EP of original songs to album with professional producer.
Bootleg Honey: New press kit, update website and new professionally recorded material to reflect new band lineup.
The Easy Leaves: Assistance with marketing at Americana Music Association’s Annual Conference in Nashville, TN.
Ismay: Short documentary film, to coincide with songwriting project.
Shaun Hunter Wagner: Replenish back catalog of Goth Horse releases, update marketing presence, and release new albums.