The North Bay Organizing Project seeks a dynamic, experienced and dedicated Housing and Tenant Organizer to coordinate the development of a County-wide Tenants Union and advance NBOP’s participation in the development of legislative campaigns related to tenant protections and housing.
The purpose of the North Bay Organizing Project (NBOP) is to build a vehicle that unites institutions, trains leaders inside of those institutions, and engages those institutions to build the necessary power to change the structures that keep people poor. Our mission: Unite people to build leadership and grassroots power for social, economic, racial and environmental justice.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Three to five years professional organizing experience;
- Demonstrated competent communication skills, both oral and in writing, for a range of audiences (students, public officials, administrators, press, public, clergy, etc.);
- Ability to develop power analysis that result in clear and winnable organizing strategies;
- Experience working on public policy
- Fluent in English and Spanish
- Innovative and well-versed in grassroots organizing techniques and experience
- Demonstrated commitment to tenant rights and/or housing justice
- Experience in development of accountable and responsible leadership structures;
- Proven experience in developing leaders as a mentor, formal trainer and agitator;
- Ability to grasp and distill complex concepts into clear and morally compelling messages;
- Ability to inspire and motivate people to act
- Coalition builder with ability to work with diverse constituents and allies
- Tech savvy and computer proficient, including Word, Excel, desktop publishing, social media
- Team player who takes initiative; must be able to work independently and collaboratively
- Car and drivers’ license required
- Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Areas of Responsibility
- Oversee development of a Sonoma County Tenant’s Union through membership recruitment, research, strategic planning and leadership development.
- Coordinate monthly tenant rights clinics across Sonoma County
- Identify and train member leaders
- Lead the engagement of NBOP and the Tenants Union in political activities relating to tenants and housing, including ballot initiatives and local demonstrations.
- Represent NBOP in local and regional alliances relating to tenants and housing
- Write grants and raise funds for NBOP’s work with tenants and housing
- Conduct substantial 1 on 1’s with grassroots leaders, public officials, and within NBOP member institutions
- Participate as an active member of the organizing staff of NBOP and Gamaliel of California
Location: Sonoma County, CA with some regional travel.
Applications accepted until position is filled
Compensation: $52,000 – $55,000 with full Medical Benefits.
This position requires an automobile.
Please send a cover letter, resume, a writing sample and at least two professional references to Davin Cardenas: firstname.lastname@example.org